Friday 21 August 2015


When your job is your passion what happens when nothing is working out?
I think every-one gets in these moods and moments when nothing seems to be going the way you planned or the way you want. 

Some days my illustrations are going amazing and I'm super proud of what I'm producing but some days it's like a physical effort to pick up materials and work because nothing seems to be going right. After ages of thinking I was the only one, but after going to college and university and being surrounded by other Illustrators and creatives in training all day I quickly realized I was not in the slightest bit alone. 

Being in this mood is difficult and can make you doubt not only your work but also yourself, I'd be lying to you if I hadn't thought at some point when something wasn't working "That's it, I'm never going to be able to draw anything good again. I'm done." 

So here are some of my tips for when this mood strikes. Obviously this won't work for every-one but something might just click.

  1. Draw something you know, something you always draw. For me I always draw a portrait of Edgar Allan Poe or Annabel Lee, during college I drew them a lot for a project so I got used to drawing them. 
  2. Re-draw an old piece of work. This is great for when you don't feel as if you're not improving. Then once you're done put the new and old piece together. 
  3. Put on your favorite album, really loud and just draw. This sounds daft but trust me, even if you just draw random shapes, just draw. The world is made up of random shapes see what come out of it. 
  4. Read a book you haven't read. This works super well for me. I love trying to figure out how the characters would look and what clothes they would wear.
  5. Go out. Take a sketchbook and go out to the park, go to a coffee shop it doesn't matter and draw what you see.
  6. Pinterest. Go on your pinterest homepage and scroll with your eyes closed and open them whatever image you cursor lands on when you stop draw that image.
  7. Try a new material that you don't use and don't be afraid to get messy.  
What do you do when your in these moods? Comment down below.

No comments:

Post a Comment